VACANT POSITIONS AVAILABLE
Two (2) three-year terms ending January 1, 2020 and January 1, 2021
and three (3) alternate positions expiring January 1, 2019, 2020, and 2021 respectively.
Individuals interested in applying for one of the vacant positions should contact the
County Commission Office at 304-728-3284
|Members|| Term Expiration
| J. Tyler Quynn, Chair
| Jeffrey C. Bannon, Vice Chair
*Alternate Members shall have all powers and duties of a regular Board member when sitting on a case and shall continue to participate in the case until a final decision is reached. Alternate members shall serve by rotation based upon seniority of appointment to the Board.
Highlights of the Board of Zoning Appeals powers and duties:
(refer to WV Code Chapter 8A-8-9 for a comprehensive list)
- Hear, review and determine appeals from an order, requirement, decision or determination made by an administrative official or board charged with the enforcement of a zoning ordinance or rule and regulation adopted.
- Authorize exceptions to the district rules and regulations only in the classes of cases or in particular situations, as specified in the zoning ordinance.
- Hear and decide conditional uses of the zoning ordinance upon which the board is required to act under the zoning ordinance.
- Authorize, upon appeal in specific cases, a variance to the zoning ordinance.
- Members must be residents of Jefferson County for at least three years preceding the appointment
- Cannot be a member of the County Planning Commission.
- Cannot hold any other elective or appointive office in the Jefferson County government.
- An Alternate member shall serve on the Board when one of the regular members is unable to serve. The alternative member shall serve until a final determination is made in the matter to which the Alternate member was initially called on to serve.
- The Board members and Alternate members shall serve without compensation, but shall be reimbursed for all reasonable and necessary expenses actually incurred in the performance of their official duties.
- Reverse, affirm or modify the order, requirement, decision or determination appeals from and have all the powers and authority of the official or board from which the appeal was taken.
- Supervise fiscal affairs and responsibilities of the Board.
Currently, there is one vacant alternate position available. Please send letter of interest and resume to the County Commission Office: firstname.lastname@example.org. County Commission Office Phone: 304-728-3284