|Members|| Term Expiration
| J. Tyler Quynn, Chair
| Jeffrey C. Bannon, Vice Chair
| Ted Schiltz
| Deirdre Catterton
*Alternate Members shall have all powers and duties of a regular Board member when sitting on a case and shall continue to participate in the case until a final decision is reached. Alternate members shall serve by rotation based upon seniority of appointment to the Board.
Highlights of the Board of Zoning Appeals powers and duties:
(refer to WV Code Chapter 8A-8-9 for a comprehensive list)
- Hear, review and determine appeals from an order, requirement, decision or determination made by an administrative official or board charged with the enforcement of a zoning ordinance or rule and regulation adopted.
- Authorize exceptions to the district rules and regulations only in the classes of cases or in particular situations, as specified in the zoning ordinance.
- Hear and decide conditional uses of the zoning ordinance upon which the board is required to act under the zoning ordinance.
- Authorize, upon appeal in specific cases, a variance to the zoning ordinance.
- Members must be residents of Jefferson County for at least three years preceding the appointment
- Cannot be a member of the County Planning Commission.
- Cannot hold any other elective or appointive office in the Jefferson County government.
- An Alternate member shall serve on the Board when one of the regular members is unable to serve. The alternative member shall serve until a final determination is made in the matter to which the Alternate member was initially called on to serve.
- The Board members and Alternate members shall serve without compensation, but shall be reimbursed for all reasonable and necessary expenses actually incurred in the performance of their official duties.
- Reverse, affirm or modify the order, requirement, decision or determination appeals from and have all the powers and authority of the official or board from which the appeal was taken.
- Supervise fiscal affairs and responsibilities of the Board.
Currently, there is one vacant alternate position available. Please send letter of interest and resume to the County Commission Office: firstname.lastname@example.org. County Commission Office Phone: 304-728-3284