Jefferson County Deputy Sheriff Promotional Process
The Jefferson County Deputy Sheriff Civil Service Commission formally announces open recruitment for the Promotional Eligibility List. The Promotional Eligibility List is used by the Sheriff of Jefferson County to make appointment(s) to the position(s) of Corporal.
Requirements to be placed on the Promotional Eligibility List are as follows:
- Applicant shall have completed at least two years’ service in the next lower grade.
- The determination of eligibility for promotion shall be made as of the date the position is vacated.
- Must take a written examination.
Promotions shall be based upon merit and fitness, to be ascertained by competitive examinations to be provided by the JCDSCSC, and upon the superior qualifications of the persons promoted, as shown by their previous service and experience.
- Fitness: Fitness will be determined by a medical examination per § 7-14-9.
- Merit: Merit will be determined by a competitive examination provided by JCDSCSC.
- Previous Service: All annual performance evaluations received in their current rank shall be used in consideration for promotions.
- Experience: Consideration will be given to the time in service as deputy sheriff with the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office to include time of service in present rank if applicable.
Public notice is given of a Jefferson County Corporal Promotional Testing Written Examination on August 31, 2022. View the public notice here.
Posted August 1, 2022