The Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management has secured federal grant funds to identify projects that reduce or eliminate the risk of hazard induced damages to buildings and infrastructure. The identifications of various types of hazard mitigation and resilience strategies is part of the FEMA funding project eligibility criteria. Projects must be identified using robust stakeholder engagement process. Finally, all projects seeking FEMA grant funding should be identified within the Jefferson County’s approved and adopted Hazard Mitigation Plan.
The Hazard Mitigation Plan forms the foundation for Jefferson County and participating municipalities long-term strategies to reduce disaster losses and break the cycle of disaster damage, reconstruction, and repeated damage. The purpose of this plan is to identify, plan, and implement cost-effective hazard mitigation measures through a comprehensive approach known as hazard mitigation planning. The 2023 plan is an update to the 2018 Hazard Mitigation Plan.
Input from residents, community members, workers, business owners, and visitors will help ensure the success of the County’s hazard mitigation plan and projects. There are a variety of ways community members and stakeholders can participate:
• Join the Committee: The All Hazards Mitigation Planning Committee meets once a month to the update of the Hazard Mitigation Plan. Attendance can be in person or via streaming. Everyone is welcome!
• Public Survey: Take a survey to provide feedback on concerns regarding local hazards and disaster risk. The survey consists of seventeen questions and takes under ten minutes to complete. Click here to access the Survey.
• Follow Us: See our Facebook page for hazard mitigation updates and other emergency preparedness, response, and recovery information.
• Spread the Word: Tell your family, friends, and neighbors about the plan and how they can help!
• Reach Out: For questions regarding the plan, contact Steve Allen, Director of the Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management at 304-728-3290.
In the News:
- Jefferson County Hazard Mitigation Plan Update Underway - The Journal - May 21, 2023