Roads in Jefferson County

Share & Bookmark, Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Did You Know?

Jefferson County does not own or maintain any roads in the County. All roads are either owned by the WV Division of Highways, a municipality, or privately owned and maintained by a Homeowners Association.

West Virginia Division of Highways

Jefferson County is part of the West Virginia Division of Highways District 5, which includes: Berkeley, Grant, Hampshire, Hardy, Jefferson, Mineral, and Morgan counties.

Need to submit a roadwork request to the WVDOH? Visit their website to complete the web request form [click here].

[Click Here] to view the WVDOH PowerPoint Presentation on Traffic Impact Studies from the 06/11/2024 Planning Commission meeting.


Hagerstown/Eastern Panhandle Metropolitan Planning Organization (HEPMPO)


HEPMPO works in conjunction with the Washington County Planning Department (Maryland) and the Region 9 Planning and Development Council (West Virginia) to conduct the required planning and to work towards accomplishing the transportation goals of the region. Click Here to visit the HEPMPO website.

Public Notice - Draft Congestion Management Process: 

The Hagerstown/Eastern Panhandle MPO hereby notifies all interested persons that the DRAFT Congestion Management Process Plan covering Washington County MD, and Berkeley and Jefferson Counties WV, are available for comment and review.  The DRAFT Plan is a systematic approach for managing congestion that provides accurate, up-to-date information on transportation system performance and assesses alternative strategies for congestion management.

The public comment period will be from May 20 to June 20, 2024. Those persons wishing to review the draft study will find copies on display at the Washington County Free Library-Hagerstown, the Martinsburg Public Library and Charles Town Library, download a copy at here, or may request a copy by contacting the HEPMPO office, located at 33 W. Washington St., Suite 402, Hagerstown, MD 21740.  Business hours are 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.  A copy of the draft study is also attached to this email.

Questions and all written comments should be directed to Matt Mullenax at 240-313-2081, or at the office address. Only written comments will be accepted.   To comment online visit:

In addition, one virtual public meeting on the draft plan will be held on June 6 from 5:00-6:30pm. A formal presentation will be posted online and given at the public meeting. To join the virtual public meeting visit for details.

Lastly, the data repository for the draft Plan and an Executive Summary StoryMap are available as well to help review all information:

West Virginia Local Technical Assistance Program (WVLTAP)

Click Here to view "A Brief History of West Virginia's Roads", published by the West Virginia Local Technical Assistance Program in May 2024.

Excerpt from Document:

"The West Virginia Division of Highways (WVDOH) was established in 1969 and is responsible for planning, engineering, rights-of-way acquisition, construction, reconstruction, traffic regulation and maintenance of more than 35,000 miles of state roads. West Virginia owns a vast majority of the roadways within the State and does not split roadway jurisdiction with a county or a township system. This equates to 89% of the public roads being the responsibility of the WVDOH with the remaining 11% being owned by a municipality, a federal agency, or the West Virginia Parkways Authority."