The Jefferson County Board of Zoning Appeals meet on the 4th Thursday* of each month beginning at 2:00 p.m. in the County Commission meeting room, located in the lower level of the Charles Town Library at 200 East Washington Street. Please use the side, ground-level entrance on Samuel Street.
*November and December meeting dates are typically modified to account for holidays. Please check the meeting schedule to confirm exact meeting date.
|Board of Zoning Appeals Members
Term Length = Three Years
| Term Expiration
| J. Tyler Quynn, Chair
|Matt McKinney, Vice Chair
|Steven Guier, Secretary
|Individuals interested in applying for vacant positions should contact the County Commission Office at
304-728-3284 / email@example.com
|Office of Planning and Zoning
| Alexandra Beaulieu, Deputy Director & Zoning Administrator
Jennilee Hartman, Zoning Clerk
116 East Washington St
Charles Town, WV 25414
|Board of Zoning Appeals Documents
|2024 Meeting Schedule and Submission Deadlines
|Rules of Procedure
|Conditional Use Permits
Highlights of the Board of Zoning Appeals Powers and Duties:
(refer to WV Code Chapter 8A-8-9 for a comprehensive list)
- Hear, review and determine appeals from an order, requirement, decision or determination made by an administrative official or board charged with the enforcement of a zoning ordinance or rule and regulation adopted.
- Authorize exceptions to the district rules and regulations only in the classes of cases or in particular situations, as specified in the zoning ordinance.
- Hear and decide conditional uses of the zoning ordinance upon which the board is required to act under the zoning ordinance.
- Authorize, upon appeal in specific cases, a variance to the zoning ordinance.
- Members must be residents of Jefferson County for at least three years preceding the appointment
- Cannot be a member of the County Planning Commission.
- Cannot hold any other elective or appointive office in the Jefferson County government.
- An Alternate member shall serve on the Board when one of the regular members is unable to serve. The alternative member shall serve until a final determination is made in the matter to which the Alternate member was initially called on to serve.
- The Board members and Alternate members shall serve without compensation, but shall be reimbursed for all reasonable and necessary expenses actually incurred in the performance of their official duties.
- Reverse, affirm or modify the order, requirement, decision or determination appeals from and have all the powers and authority of the official or board from which the appeal was taken.
- Supervise fiscal affairs and responsibilities of the Board.
- Alternate Members shall have all the powers and duties of a regular Board member when sitting on a case and shall continue to participate in the case until a final decision is reached. Alternate members shall serve by rotation, based on seniority of appointment to the Board.